Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Saturday 31 January 2015

Perched Rough-leg and a white Stoat

I arrived slightly later than normal at Burnham Overy this morning, around 8 am.  There seemed to be far more birds around than last week and I enjoyed the walk, although it was a while before I saw anything especially noteworthy.  A Red-breasted Merganser and 5 Goldeneye were in the channel and a Chinese Water Deer was on the freshmarsh again.  Two Barnacle Geese were easy to pick out from among the Pink-feet. 

Having just acquired the ID guide to Britain's Sea Mammals I put my learning into practice to confirm 6 Common Seals on the end of Scolt Head.  About time I knew what sort of seal I was seeing each time I come here - never really got the hang of Seal ID until now.  At least 7 Great Crested Grebes were on the sea with another flying west - haven't seen them here recently so maybe there's been some movement in the last few days?

As I headed east through the dunes I picked up one of the Rough-legged Buzzards several times, getting some good looks at it perched on fence posts.  In fact I'm not sure I've ever had such good perched views before.  Not that you'd know it from these photos...




Rough-legged Buzzard, Burnham Overy, 31st January


A party of 4 Red Kites appeared again, much later than they have done on recent visits, hanging around over the east end of the dunes before at least some of them eventually moved off west towards Scolt Head. 


Red Kite, Burnham Overy, 31st January


Kestrel, Burnham Overy, 31st January


The second Rough-legged Buzzard appeared briefly over Holkham Freshmarsh - I checked back to make sure the first bird was still there and it was.  As I returned to the car I picked up the Stoat in its white ermine coat that I'd heard others report recently.  I'd wanted to see that so was pleased, although I'd have been even more pleased if it had been close enough to photograph or shown for more than a couple of seconds.  The only other thing of note was a Kingfisher as I neared the car park.

No comments:

Post a Comment