Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Wednesday 20 January 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Birds: Gamebirds

GAMEBIRDS (family PHASIANIDAE)


Black Grouse
Lyrurus tetrix - 15 at a not-very-secret secret location in County Durham on the way home from a family visit to the Lake District in December 2019.




Black Grouse, County Durham, 31st December 2019



Red-legged Partridge Alectoris rufa - Regularly seen at the meadows and sometimes in next door's garden.


Grey Partridge Perdix perdix - A pair at the meadows in April and August 2019 and on 3 occasions in March 2020; also one calling there in June.


Grey Partridges, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th August 2019


Grey Partridge, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 8th June 2020



Quail Coturnix coturnix - Probably the best bird I found at the meadows in 2019 was a Quail heard calling overnight while I was looking for moths on 27th July.  I heard it once and then again 3-4 times in quick succession.  At the time I was unaware that Quails sung in flight on migration so I assumed it was calling from the meadows, but they had been cut recently so they weren't really suitable.  In hindsight I wonder if it was actually flying over - I don't think there was too much time between the first call and the second series of calls for this to be possible.


Kalij Pheasant Lophura leucomelanos - Dave Norgate found this extraordinary bird in farmland near Colkirk - easily the bird of the decade...






Kalij Pheasant, near Colkirk, 19th April 2019



Common Pheasant Phasianus colchicus - Regularly seen at the meadows, at home and elsewhere.

Pheasant, near Buttermere (Cumbria), 6th April 2019


Pheasant, Great Ryburgh, 4th October 2019


Next page: Geese, Swans and Shelduck

Or return to Birds index

No comments:

Post a Comment