Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Thursday 18 February 2016

Hybrid seagull, Grey Wag and Lap Bunt

Last week was a busy one but I managed to see the odd bird.  I've spent several lunch breaks looking for the Pallid Harrier (and Ravens) without success, Tuesday and Friday of last week being examples.  Both visits resulted in Bramblings, and Friday's was more satisfying with 2 Little Owls and close views of a Grey Wagtail.






Grey Wagtail, Flitcham, 12th February


Brambling, Flitcham, 12th February


Chaffinch, Flitcham, 12th February


Blackbird, Flitcham, 12th February


Other than that last week I saw Barn Owls at Tattersett, Summerfield and Brisley.  On Thursday I saw the Red-necked Grebe at Brancaster Staithe again (with a Goldeneye) but it was too far off for photos so I contined along the coast seeing 2 Red Kites and a group of 4 Muntjacs at Burnham Norton (rarely if ever seen so many together).  Also these:

Grey Plover, Burnham Overy, 11th February


Ringed Plover, Burnham Overy, 11th February


Magpie, Hunstanton, 10th February


On Saturday I was helping the usual group again, at Cley, and decided to squeeze in a visit to Blakeney beforehand.  Would have been plenty of time had I got up earlier, but I left it late so was a bit rushed.  No sign of the Herring x Lesser Black-backed Gull hybrid that I wanted to see but I did get to see a Lapland Bunting, thanks in no small part to Marcus.  Rubbishy shots taken in haste...




Lapland Bunting, Blakeney, 13th February


At Cley there didn't seem to be a great deal happening from Dauke's Hide - all pretty standard stuff: 8 Pintail and lots of commoner duck, 29 Avocets and 104 Black-tailed Godwits.  We enjoyed it when a Snipe appeared in the grass just in front of us, quickly dropping into the ditch where it joined a second bird.  In the distance we could see plenty of Red-throated Divers moving west at sea - I imagine anyone watching the sea that morning would have ended up with a good count if they could stick the cold long enough.


Snipe, Cley, 13th February


After this I headed back to Blakeney to have another look for the gull.  Mission accomplished this time, the Herring Gull x Lesser Black-backed Gull hybrid was in the harbour showing nicely.  Interesting bird, and I even got some sound recordings of it calling.







 Herring Gull x Lesser Black-backed Gull hybrid, Blakeney, 13th February

No comments:

Post a Comment