Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Sunday 19 April 2015

Ring Ouzels

I headed up to Burnham Overy last Sunday morning, seeing 3 Barn Owls on the way in the Fakenham area.  My first Sedge Warblers of the year were singing along the dyke and a party of 4 Mediterranean Gulls flew over.

Some evidence of visible migration included over 40 Carrion Crows west.  Also a wagtail which sounded like White Wagtail, though I'm not confident enough to claim these purely on call yet.  A single Swallow flew west as did 2 more Mediterranean Gulls; I'm sure if I'd been at Gun Hill from first light and concentrated on vis mig I'd have seen a lot more.  The wind was always meant to get up later on but it started off windier than I was expecting and hearing birds calling above the wind became increasingly difficult as the morning progressed.

There weren't huge numbers of grounded migrants around - a Goldcrest by the boardwalk, 5 Wheatears in the dunes and best, a party of 4 Ring Ouzels.




Ring Ouzels, Burnham Overy, 12th April


As I headed back this Spoonbill was feeding in the saltmarsh:



Spoonbill, Burnham Overy, 12th April


Here are some other snaps taken during the course of the morning.


Linnet, Burnham Overy, 12th April




Pochards, Burnham Overy, 12th April - no sign of the hybrid today




Cormorant, Burnham Overy, 12th April


Since last Sunday there has been plenty more Ring Ouzel action for those fortunate enough to get out.  I've been stuck indoors, either working or sick, so until yesterday I hadn't managed anything better than hearing a singing Willow Warbler at home on Wednesday.

Now on the mend I decided to pop out for an hour or so yesterday afternoon, primarily to see Emperor Moths attracted to the pheremone lure Dave has borrowed.  Got a singing Dartford Warbler followed by a singing Woodlark as well as the moths.  Back to bed exhausted as soon as I got home!

No comments:

Post a Comment