Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Saturday 28 March 2015

Firecrest

Headed out to Burnham Overy early this morning, expecting a mainly dry morning with the rain forecast to arrive late morning.  It wasn't dry - drizzling for most of the first hour or two - and windier than I was expecting too.

Anyway, spirits weren't too dampened as I headed towards the dunes.  A Chiffchaff was singing at the staithe and a Fieldfare chacked away as a pair of adult Mediterranean Gulls called overhead.  The Pochard x Ferruginous Duck hybrid I saw last time (two weeks ago) was still present.

By time I'd reached Gun Hill and returned to the boardwalk I hadn't added much to the day's tally - Barn Owl and 5 Red-breasted Mergansers was about it, and the only migrant was a Chiffchaff in the sea buckthorn.  


Barn Owl, Burnham Overy, 28th March


Now more raptors were showing - a Red Kite or two and the Rough-legged Buzzard being the best.

Rough-legged Buzzard, Burnham Overy, 28th March


I birded the east dunes more in hope than expectation but it proved worthwhile.  Best was a Firecrest skulking in brambles at the east end. These photos are quite representative of the sort of views it was giving.


Firecrest, Burnham Overy, 28th March


As I walked back through the valley on the north side a smart male Wheatear showed.

 Wheatear, Burnham Overy, 28th March


There are still a few Golden Plover around.  A minority are starting to look quite summery like the first one below, but most are more like the second photo.


Golden Plovers, Burnham Overy, 28th March


As I returned past the reedy pool I noticed a Spoonbill feeding in a wet area beyond the main pool.  Back near the staithe I watched a Red Kite feeding on the ground.  Couldn't tell what it was eating - a Pheasant maybe?


 Red Kite, Burnham Overy, 28th March

No comments:

Post a Comment