Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Saturday 7 November 2015

Ring Ouzels and Lil Owl

The highlights of a relatively uneventful visit to Burnham Overy on 6th October were 2-3 Ring Ouzels and a ringtail Hen Harrier.  Also a Yellow-browed Warbler called once from the willows south of the fenceline, but I didn't see it.


Ring Ouzel, Burnham Overy, 6th October


There were a few other thrushes around - 40 or so Song Thrushes but no sign of the Blackbird arrival that was reported elsewhere - in fact I didn't see a single Blackbird!  Not many other migrants though - 4 Blackcaps, a couple of Chiffchaffs but little else.  Overhead the odd Siskin and a Grey Wagtail, and a Swallow and 2 House Martins through, but pretty quiet really.

There was a Pintail among the Mallards, a Greenshank and 2 Sandwich Terns in the channel, and I heard Water Rail and Bearded Tits calling.  Also vocally obvious were at least 5 Cetti's Warblers - at least 3 at the reedy pool, another nearby and one just SW of Holkham pines.

On the way home a Red Kite flew over the road between South Creake and Sculthorpe - seem to see them round here quite often.

On Monday 8th I searched for migrants at Heacham during my lunch break.  No luck with migrants but a nice showy Little Owl was good value, until it was chased off by a Magpie.




Little Owl, Heacham, 8th October



Magpie and Little Owl, Heacham, 8th October



Magpies, Heacham, 8th October

No comments:

Post a Comment